The Palau Comtal is a historical and cultural reference for the town of Cocentaina. It currently houses the premises of the Municipal Museum where various search and dissemination tasks of the local cultural heritage are carried out.
Many of the permanent exhibitions and the rooms of the Palau Comal, which visitors can enjoy at this point, were inaugurated on the occasion of the celebration of some edition of the Fira de Tots Sants de Cocentaina.
These are distributed in the following spaces:
Sala de Embajadores
Since November 2002, after the remodeling and adaptation of the Sala d’Ambaixadors of the Palau Comtal as a museum exhibition, Cocentaina has a unique space in the Valencian Community where architectural and ornamental quality is combined with artistic quality. The different works exhibited have been distributed according to artistic significance, theme and dimensions. In the second room, you can see the altarpiece of Santa Bárbara, one of the best preserved testimonies of Italo-Gothic painting from the late Middle Ages (second half of the 14th century).
Altarpiece Santa Bàrbara
The third unit is presided over by the altarpiece of San Antoni Abat, attributed to the most outstanding painter of the Valencian Renaissance of the 16th century born in Cocentaina: Nicolau Borràs.
In the fourth room you can enjoy a splendid display of works of art, some of which were made by painters from Cocentaina belonging to two schools created in this town: the school of Nicolau Borràs, in the 16th century, and, in the 17th century, that of Rodrigo d'Espinosa, father of the well-known Valencian Baroque painter, Jeroni Jacint d'Espinosa.
Fourth room Ambaixadors Room
In the annexed rooms the magnificent manuscript codex of the Bible, dated between the 13th and 14th centuries, is exhibited. The pages of this book contain beautiful figurative illustrations of zoomorphic, vegetal and geometric scenes and motifs.
Manuscript Codex of the Bible
Also, in the room of the Tower of the Nuns, since 2017, there are illuminated panels in which a work by the painter from Cocentaina, Jeroni Jacint d'Espinosa, is explained in commemoration of the 350th anniversary of his death. This painting is exhibited in the same Hall of Ambassadors entitled "The Virgin breastfeeding the child", acquired by the City Council of Cocentaina in 2004.
Jeroni Jacint d'Espinosa 350th anniversary exhibition
Canvas "The Virgin Nursing the Child" by Jeroni d'Espinosa
Although Jerónimo de Espinosa almost left his artistic printing press in his hometown, professor Lorenzo Hernández Guardiola attributed the authorship of the paintings in the Golden Room of the Palau Comtal to the Valladolid painter Jerónimo Rodrigo de Espinosa, who was assisted by his son Jeroni Jacint.
Sala de la Xemeneia
A square-plan unit with a ribbed vault formed by eight quadrangular lobes and a central one, a set that is complemented by four lunettes topped by a cornice. The restoration of the ceiling in 2003 revealed the old ornamental decoration dominated by a red in red and gray borders.
The room is dominated by a marble fireplace. Inside, there is an iron plate with relief decoration that represents the imperial shield of Carlos V dated 1565. The symbolism of the shield consists of a double-headed eagle and, in the middle of both heads, the imperial crown, while the feet are flanked by the columns of Hercules.
Currently a shield cut in Carrara marble from the Corella family is on display. On one face the family weapons are represented and on the other there are remains of the ornamentation of an ancient Roman temple. Possibly the piece came from southern Italy.
Coat of arms of the Corella family
The room, with a quadrangular plan, is covered by a ribbed vault divided by ribs into thirteen spaces and four painted lunettes. Between 1613 and 1623 the mural paintings in the Sala Daurada were commissioned by Count Jeroni Roís de Corella.
The central spaces are dedicated to the heraldic symbols of the Corella family and the nine kings of Navarre to whom the counts of Cocentaina were believed to be related. The symbolism is represented by the primitive shield of the noble family adapted to the arms of the Royal House of Aragon, by the serpent with the head of a woman and the motto of the "convenient" house and by the tribute of the promoter of the paintings, the ninth earl, in the form of a tree.
In the four lunettes the courage of the ancestors of the Corella is praised, in which reference is made to the participation of Roís de Corella in the fight of the Vatican against the Turks or the help given by this first count to Alfonso V in Naples.
Sala de les Finestres: Exhibition «Agulló de Cocentaina»
The City Council of Cocentaina has wanted to carry out the idea of ??paying tribute to Vicente Agulló, trained both within the territory of the Spanish State and in other countries, but, unlike other artists in our town, he developed an important part of the artistic production in the hometown.
Vicente de Paul Agulló Sanchis was born in 1932 in Cocentaina. The natural artistic quality that he possessed was channeled with the academic training begun at the School of Fine Arts in Valencia and in the San Fernando room in Madrid.
During his long artistic career, he received numerous awards and managed to exhibit his work in Madrid, Valencia, Valladolid, Lausanne (Switzerland), Barcelona, ??Rome, Seville, etc.
The Agulló-Pastor family conserves an important collection of sculptural work temporarily ceded, in large part, to the City Council of Cocentaina by agreement. The current exhibition consists of a total of almost fifty works, representing all the styles, materials and techniques that the author has used in the execution of the different figures and forms.
Exhibition Agulló from Cocentaina